Planet Hollywood Las Vegas October 27-29, 2017
Who needs an excuse to go to Vegas?!!!!!!!! That’s actually one of the reasons I miss living in Southern California. I spent plenty of weekends in Vegas and to be able to go, enjoy Vegas AND books. I’d be in heaven!
If you do get a chance to go to this book conference, here are a couple of things that will make it much more enjoyable.
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes- I am one of those people who will buy a pair of shoes more so because they are cute not because they fit well or even feel good. DON’T BE LIKE TERRI. There is a lot of walking at conferences. If you are comfortable it will keep you in a much better frame of mind.
- Set a budget and stick to it- This is important. You never want your love of books to supersede your love of food and rent. I know I’m preaching to the choir, but I’ve been there and done that. Authors know you cannot buy something from every single one of them. I’ve talked to several authors who told me they actually don’t have a ton of sales at the conference but realize a bump in sales after the conference. So don’t feel guilty and/or avoid authors (I did this at my first conference) because you aren’t buying one of their books. And of course, traveling in itself can get expensive, so check out travel deals, like these to Vegas , to save your money for books!
- Stop and talk to authors- Pick up author swag. This is the best way to remember who you met and which books you want to read later. If the author has time, ask them to sign the bookmarker swag. It makes for a, even more, special memento.
- Bring a case with wheels. Books get heavy after awhile. Make it easy on yourself.
- Talk, Talk, Talk- Enjoy yourself and meet new people. Don’t be afraid to talk to authors or other attendees. All of you already have one thing in common, so if you’re shy just start talking about books. Participate in the activities outside of the actual signing time. It’s an even better way to meet people and have fun. Trust me, it is very energizing to be around “your people”.